James M. Simpson
Jim Simpson is one of the founding partners of the law firm Allen, Summers, Simpson, Lillie & Gresham, PLLC. Jim was born in Hudson, New York; raised in St. Petersburg, Florida; graduated from college at Furman University in Greenville, South Carolina; and, graduated from law school at the University of Memphis in Memphis, Tennessee.
Jim has 25 years of experience practicing law. The emphasis of Jim’s practice is business litigation, commercial disputes of all types, complex litigation, transportation and trucking litigation, employment law, labor law, as well as many other areas of civil litigation. He has participated both as counsel for the plaintiff and counsel for the defendant in various matters. Jim has handled numerous class actions, on behalf of plaintiffs and defendants, including claims under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, the Fair Labor Standards Act, and the Equal Pay Act.
Jim’s reputation for honesty, ethics and fairness is preeminent. Jim’s reputation in the legal community has brought him accolades from his peers. Martindale Hubbell is generally regarded as the gold standard for rating attorneys nationally. Martindale Hubbell seeks peer ratings of professional standards of conduct and ethics, reliability, diligence and criteria relevant to the discharge of professional responsibilities. Jim has received an AV rating. An AV rating is the highest level of professional excellence and signifies that Jim has attained the rating of preeminent attorney.
Jim is a member of The Million Dollar Advocates Forum and The Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum, which are comprised of the most prestigious groups of trial lawyers in the United States. Membership is limited to attorneys who have won million and multi-million dollar verdicts and settlements. Jim has obtained verdicts and/or settlements of one million dollars or more for his clients on multiple occasions. There are over 4,000 members throughout the country. Fewer than 1% of U.S. lawyers are members. Members of The Million Dollar Advocates Forum and The Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum have each demonstrated, in an objective and tangible way, their ability to accomplish superior results in complex cases.
Jim has received a perfect rating of 10.0 Superb from AVVO. AVVO is a consumer-based attorney rating service and website. AVVO uses information regarding the attorney’s experience, background, professional achievements, industry recognition and disciplinary history to provide its profiles and ratings. Jim has obtained the highest rating possible.
Jim has been recognized by various organizations and publications as an outstanding attorney. He has been recognized for many years by the Mid-South edition of Super Lawyers Magazine, as a Mid-South Super Lawyer. He has been selected by the American Lawyer and Corporate Counsel Top Rated Lawyers in the areas of Transportation law and Labor and Employment law. He has also been inducted as a Fellow of the Memphis Bar Foundation. Jim is an author and speaker on various areas of law and the practical application of the law to real-life scenarios. He speaks frequently at seminars and other presentations for lawyers and non-lawyers as well.
Jim has appeared in jurisdictions throughout the country, including Tennessee, Mississippi, Arkansas, New York, California, Florida, Georgia, Alabama, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Missouri, Texas, Illinois, Ohio, Kentucky, West Virginia and Iowa. He is counsel of record in various reported cases throughout the country.
• Furman University, B.A. degree 1988
• University of Memphis School of Law, J.D. degree 1991
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
• New York
• United States Court of Appeals for the FifthCircuit
• United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
• United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
• United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
• United States District Court for the Central District of Illinois
• United States District Court for the Middle District of Tennessee
• United States District Court for the Western District of Tennessee
• United States District Court for the Eastern District of Arkansas
• United States District Court for the Western District of Arkansas
• United States District Court for the Northern District of Mississippi
• United States District Court for the Southern District of Mississippi
• Martindale Hubbell AV Rating
• AVVO Rating – Perfect Rating 10.0 Superb
• Mid-South Super Lawyers
• Fellow, Memphis Bar Foundation
• Selected by the American Lawyer and Corporate Counsel Top Rated Lawyers in Transportation Law
• Selected by the American Lawyer and Corporate Counsel Top Rated Lawyers in Labor & Employment Law
• Member, The Million Dollar Advocates Forum
• Member, The Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
• American Bar Association
• Tennessee Bar Association
• Arkansas Bar Association
• Mississippi Bar Association
• New York State Bar Association
• Memphis Bar Association